Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extensions to small buildings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snatch

Structural
Dec 13, 2000
MS
When extending a building, say a two storey dwelling, should the new members (beams, columns footings)be 1. joined to the existing members by dowelling or exposing rebar splicing new rebar and concreting or 2. not be connected at all, allowed to act as separate structure all together?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Snatch,

My thought is that the footing should be kept independant of each other. Presumibly the existing building has been in place for some time, so the building has had time to settle. The soil under the new portion of the building has not been subjected to loading, so when the new portion is built, the soil there WILL settle.
If the footings are connected, cracks will likely develop due to deiiferential settlement.

As for the beams. You can contect the new beams into existing columns (capacity depending) and load the existing footings. The "increased" settlement in the footings would likely be neg.

Just my thought.
Cottage Guy

It all seems doable, until you start thinking of Seismic design of your new "structure". At that point, you then must decide how you will analyze this composite building, yada, yada, yada...

Save yourself the trouble, separate the buildings enough to allow both to deflect the requisite inelastic deflection in an earthquake, if you can.

Hello Trainguy, which seismic region are you from? Southern California engineer here.

Separating the structure makes lateral calculation simple but you end up with real thick walls at the separation and the joints have to be replaced everytime there is a severe seismic movement. Assuming the building is designed properly, hopefully the separation joints are the only thing you have to fix.

I'm posting from Montreal, Canada. We are actually in a somewhat active seismic zone here, but I don't quite remember its exact designation as I've started working exclusively on railcar structures for the past few years...[bigglasses]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back