external Cat5/ ethernet Cabling 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wgn9953

Electrical
Sep 9, 2003
JM
Hi,
i am seeking information on external 25/50 pair ethernet cables for the purpose of extending a LAN in an area where LOS is a null.My distance is approx. 150ft from the hub to the remote building, is this distance within ethernet standards for reasonable data rates?

Yours
Glen

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Glen,

This doesn't answer your question, for which I apologise, but why, at 150 feet, is LOS a null? At that distance you should not only be able to send just about anything over LOS, but you would need to install atttenuators in your antenna leads!

Unless there is a huge, earthed, metal plate in the way, LOS to be not only posible but rather overwhelming.

John

Hi John,

LOS is can only be achieved with HEIGHT considerations since their exist a very high and wide (sugar) factory building in the path.I need the flexiability of comparing the cost of going high (Tower)against external cabling.

Thanks
Glen

150 ft for cat5 ? No problem, if memory is correct 328ft on any one segment is allowable.

BUT, the thing about moving from building to building, at least 3ft deep into the ground, OR sheilding tube (steel) if above ground, the shilding is for 2way radios and such.

ALSO, I would use a spike arrestor on the cat5 cables at BOTH ends APC.com makes the ones we are using for building to building connections see for the rack style units.

Regards,
Greg,

Called "Mr. Fusion" by the Locals :)

Glen,

Here's a thought: As an alternative to burying and shielding a cable, why not place a passive repeater on your factory roof. Two shrouded yagis, which at LOS frequencies are very small, connected back to back, with each one pointing at the, very small, dish of your tranceiver on its respective side of the factory would work fine. You would have power to spare. Even two repeaters would work.

Another possible LOS solution would be to have a reflector off to one side of the factory, angled so that it relfected signals from each LOS terminal to the other. This is fairly standard procedure for areas where direct line of sight isn't available and the repeater can't be powered. Your shot is so short that you would probably only need a very small reflector, which would have the added advantage of reducing your received signal level to manageable proportions.

Another thought is, if you have to divert the path of the cable around the factory, it may exceed 100 meters in length. Even with shielding, which can,incidentally, act as an antenna and make matters worse, you may find your environment too noisy for easy connection.

I'm all for using cables wherever possible, but coleagues of mine and I have run into so many problems with electrical noise in industrial environments that we are actually developing a bolt on goody which will reduce the effects of such noise in such environments.

Yes it is patented - yes we do intend to make a lot of money!

regards

John

Thanks All,
My Project is now well underway, taking every advice into consideration for the deriving of my material cost and design.

thanks
Glen

I'd never run Cat 5 between two buildings. Too much chance of ground problems. I know that there is not a grounding connection on Cat 5, but have read of many issues when running between buildings. I'd use fiber with media converters on each end and hubs or routers as required.
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back