Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

External File References and SW API 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bOILERbRAD

Mechanical
Aug 11, 2008
US
Hello all,

I am trying to create a macro that will copy a drawing and it's referenced parts to a new directory, rename all the documents copied, and update the references in the drawing to point to the new parts. I am having trouble with finding out what parts are referenced and then updating the references. Is there a way to get the reference from the drawing without opening it? Or maybe I'm going about this all wrong.

Thanks in advance,
Brad

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You may want to look into the Document Manager API. It's basically the API for SolidWorks Explorer. If you want to use it, though, you will need to get a license key from SolidWorks. Just email apisupport at solidworks dot com.

-handleman, CSWP (The new, easy test)

No, SW Explorer doesn't need to be open. SW doesn't even need to be open. You can run the Document Manager stuff from any VB/VBA/whatever.

-handleman, CSWP (The new, easy test)

handleman,
Thanks for letting us know about the Document Manager API. I sent in my request. Another star for you.

Standing
SolidWorks Pro 2009 x64, SP3.0
PDMWorks Workgroup, SolidWorks BOM,
HP xw8600, 64-bit Windows Vista Business, Service Pack 1
Intel Xeon CPU, 3.00 GHz, 16 GB RAM, Virtual memory 166682 MB,
nVidia Quadro FX 4600

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back