Status
Not open for further replies.

Facundo9788

Mechanical
Aug 24, 2023
AR
Hi,

This is my firt entry.

I work designing and drafting vessels according to ASME DIV XIII Section 1 and the European Union Pressure Equipment Directive (PED).

I searched the ASME Code for grounding/earthing lugs an I didn't find specifications, then I searched the API 650 and found something but it is way to big for what I need, at least I saw that the lug must be Austenitic Stainless Steel no matter the vessel material. For welding then I must go for a 309L electrode if I combine Stainless and Carbon Steel.

What I really need to know and I didn't find and answer in the Code is: a pad, like the pad of a saddle, is considerer a pressure part UG-4(a) or a non pressure pad UG-4(b)?

What consideration shall I have for welding the grounding lug to the shell or to a pad welded to the shell?

Regards

Facundo.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's true but my regular designs are vertical scrubbers with elliptical cap on top and flat welded cover in the bottom, bolted to a skid or frame, both the shell and the flat cover are pressure parts UG-4(a) so what I want to do is when I have a Carbon Steel shell attach a welded carbon steel pad and then weld the lug to the pad to avoid a special WPS and WPQ.

Facundo9788, you may do so if you wish. By the by it is Sec VIII, Div 1.

Regards

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back