Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

External Threads Possible On Solid Models? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

4mranch1

Aerospace
Jun 27, 2007
US
I can find model threading for holes, but I cannot for external surfaces. Can external threads be modeled? If not what does one do to have a thread specified on external surfaces?

Gary Ashby
Designer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

the search button works pretty well. I typed in "external thread" and found this thread thread559-198008. It has a bit of information.

dsgnr1

¿)
Version of SolidWorks: 2007
SolidWorks Sercive Pack:sp5
Operating System & Service Pack: winxp pro v5.1 (sp2)
Graphics Card and Driver version: Nvidia Quadro fx540, 9.1.3.6
Amount of installed RAM: 1GB
Virtual Memory settings: APPS, total paging = 1024mb
CPU Type & Speed: intel pent 4 / cpu 3.00GHz

Thanks dsgnr1, I will look at that thread more closely. I have been using this forum for a while in the UG/NX area and thought I had read the search function did not work. Glad to see it does.

UG/NX allows the user to create external and internal threads within one feature function. I was hoping SolidWorks would have a similar function since it already lets the user create internal threads easily.

Having to create a helix and cross section of the thread can be time consuming, but if that is what is required in SolidWorks that is what I will have to do.

By chance is there an external add-on program that can be added to add this thread feature to SolidWorks?

Gary Ashby
Designer

4mranch1,
Are you talking about Cosmetic Threads? If so just select the leading edge of the shaft and open the Cosmetic Thread tool from the Annotations toolbar.

Or just apply a texture to the shafts' face if you don't need the dashed root circle.

[cheers]

In my opinion this by far the biggest failing of Solid Works compared to other similar software.

Making external threads in Solid Edge was a few mouse clicks, even to make tappered threads. It was a real eye opener the day I realized how much work was involved in doing something that every other modeler I have ever used can do with ease.

What I have never understood is why they don't fix this. This issue of external threads has been around for years with nothing being done from Solid Works. Maybe 2009 will be the year.

Being a cynical person by nature I feel that my time would be better spent poking myself in the eye with a stick then sending in an improvement request.

Perhaps this time will be different so I'll give it a try.

JamesBarlow said:
In my opinion this by far the biggest failing of Solid Works compared to other similar software.

They can't please everybody I guess. That is the biggest failing for you? I haven't seen a survey, but I would guess that 99% of Solidworks users do not NEED the actual threads modeled on a part. On the rare occasion that I needed to show threads, I simply revolved a v-shape around a shaft and then made a linear pattern.

As was stated earlier, make an enhancement request or you'll be back in 2010 complaining about this "missing" function.

Flores

"Being a cynical person by nature I feel that my time would be better spent poking myself in the eye with a stick then sending in an improvement request."

was the funnyest thing i read all day!

CorBlimeyLimey,

I use UG/NX5 and SolidWorks and UG/NX has had that available feature for some time. The user selects the surface and UG will allow a cosmetic thread or a fully detailed helical thread. UG even identifies a possible thread to the diameter feature chosen.

Gary Ashby
Designer

4mranch1,
It doesn't surprise me if NX5 (or even Wildfire) had that capability as they are (or are descended from) high end systems.
I would be pleasantly surprised though if SE has this function. It didn't when I was using it a few years ago ... leastways it wasn't shown to me and I didn't see it mentioned in the Help files.

[cheers]

Does your company manufacture screws or similar parts? I can see the need if this is the case. For over 10 years (since the AutoCAD days) there have been many users who wanted to model the actual helix on a screw just for visual purposes.

In SW, throw 50 screws made with actual helices into an assembly and the system will start slowing down.

Flores

Those detailed threads will slow done even the high end programs so I have never used them except in a few areas like for the ballscrews used on our actuators. All fasteners are shown in their simpliest form with no detailed threads (A common and prefered modeling practice.). Thanks to this forum I have found where external threads can be represented thru SolidWork's Insert / Annotation / Cosmetic Threads and this will do just fine for the majority of our parts. It would just be nice to have the capability of detailed external threads if it was needed on a model.

Gary Ashby
Designer

I wouldn't be surprised if someone has created a macro to generate the geometry. Though I have never come across said macro.

-Dustin
Professional Engineer
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Eltron,

I realize that detailed threads can be created, I have just gotten spoiled with UG/NX doing the math for me.

Gary Ashby
Designer

I would not be surprised if SW deliberately kept helical thread modeling a slightly difficult task. If it were made too easy, every idiot using SW would put actual helical threads on all their fasteners, then complain when their assembly performance absolutely tanked. Making it more difficult to do makes you stop and think, "Do I really need this level of detail?" 99% of the time, the answer is "No."

In my company we use actual modeled threads quite a bit. Especially when you are building models and prototypes using SLA or other 3D printing methods. I have been giving feedback on wanting this feature for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back