Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

extract s33 from abaqus via python script

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lenimech

Mechanical
Dec 3, 2012
BE
Hello everyone,

I am a new user in abaqus and I am using a python script to extract data from abaqus to excel. My problem is that I want to extract the stress S33 (Szz) and python does not recognize it. Do you know how can I type it in the script?
Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think that the simplest way to do that is to use history output(you can choose how many outputs you get and in which node set you want to have this output)...when your simulation is done you get tabular data and you can copy/paste this data in excel
If you have any further questions, do not hesitate to ask...

Regards

If you are looking for field output, then the stress components are listed in a data container in the order (S11, S22, S33, S12, S13, S23). You can access the data as below:

odb.steps[].frames[].fieldOutputs['S'].values[].data[]

So S33 will be data[2].

I agree with both gugi91 and cooken, but there are pros and cons to both:

If you follow gugi91's method, and you use a frequency of 1 in your input file, you will get every stress value calculated by Abaqus for a certain number of elements in your model. This will give you high frequency data without storing too many irrelevant data points. It's worth noting that you can also use a python script to extract that data as well.

If you use cooken's method, and you record the stress at every element in your model as a field output, (depending on the number of output steps requested) you will get lower frequency data (stress-time plots will not be smooth) and will also be recording the stresses of elements you're (possibly) not interested in. Of course you can also use cooken's method with an elset if you'd also like to inspect the stress state visually using a heat map.

Yes, you can control the output frequency and the region for both. In the case of field outputs you can use:

fieldOutputs['S'].getSubset(region=" ").values[].data[]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back