Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extract surface normals from odb

Status
Not open for further replies.

apal21

Structural
Apr 11, 2020
FR
Hello,

I know that one can plot the surface normals in Abaqus using Plot->Orientation. I want to know the values of these (unit) normals, i) either by copying it directly from Abaqus, or better still, 2) extracting these surface normals using python as part of post-processing, much like any other field output variable.

How do I do this? Thank you very much.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can write material directions to Abaqus/Standard results file using *EL FILE, DIRECTIONS=YES. This is described in the documentation chapter "Output to the Data and Results Files" (paragraph "Output of local directions to the results file").

Thank you. If I have understood correctly, for a Standard analysis, this generates a .fil file, and for an Expicit analysis, this generates a .sel file? Can both of these be read later in Matlab as a text file?

This option is for Abaqus/Standard because there local coordinate directions aren't written to the results (.fil) file by default. In Abaqus/Explicit they are written to the selected results (.sel) file whenever output of complete stress or strain tensor is requested.

It should be possible to postprocess the .fil file in Matlab (and .sel can be converted to .fil) but you will probably need Abaqus2Matlab plug-in for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back