Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extract the required stress field

Status
Not open for further replies.

ul92

Structural
Aug 21, 2013
AZ
How to define primary stress component perpendicular to the shown surface along the given edge

StressCom1_dblb8s.png

I can create user defined stress component along the edge as below but I can only use built-in stress components. I am not sure how to work out stress perpendicular to the required surface

Linearised_okqerf.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try to look on the stress field in the local element system (instead of global system). It should be possible to align the element systems (geometry tree, right click and insert, element orientation), so that say a local element axis is always perpendicular to the surface of interest (say local Z axis is perpendicular). Finally we can then look on the stress component (I think Normal, and choose solution coordinate system) in the local system (StressinZ in this case).

I am not sure but I guess you are interested in stress linearization. You need to know where to pass the stress linearization lines to get primary and secondary stress components.

Look for ASME Section VIII Div 2 Part 5, ANNEX-5A for guidlines.

Also look for this Link and this Link and this FAQ-faq794-982

EDIT- Check this post thread292-95338

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back