Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extracting Edges from Hidden Wireframe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirrorman44

Automotive
Nov 11, 2008
US
Previous versions of UG allowed you to have a view with hidden edge wireframe and extract edges "all in work view" and that is what you would get, even after blanking the solid body. When I do it now, it looks fine until I blank the solid and then ALL the edges of the solid are there, not just the ones that I could see in the hidden edge wireframe.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It sounds to me like you are using "hide" (blank) as a permanent concealing of an item (but maybe I am wrong with that assumption) - you should do that with layers.
I believe the "blanking" command has been in Unigraphics for 20 years, and it always has been intended as a temporary concealing of an object. Utilizing layers (and "visible in view") is a better way to do what you want to do.

But with that said, I think what you need to do is view dependent edit the objects that you want to keep in the view:
Edit > View > View Dependent Edit > Edit Entire Object > "line font" solid (or whatever font you want), then select the width and color that you want (if they are changing) > select edges in the view that you don't want to disappear when hidden

When I select the hidden edges they are turned on as dashed and hidden lines, but when the hidden edges are made totally invisible in that view the ones that you view dependently edited will remain to what you edited them to be.

The 'render engine' has changed a bit in recent versions. To get what you want, try going to static wireframe then go to 'Preferences' -> 'Visualization' -> 'Visual' tab -> 'Edge Display Settings' and toggle the 'hidden edges' to 'invisible' before you perform the extract edge command.

You are using the WRONG 'hidden' view.

Starting with NX 4.0 we replaced the so-called default HLR (Hidden Line Removed) view, which was based on actually editing the visibility of the 'hidden' edges so that they are not seen, with a scheme which used the hardware rendering capabilities of the graphics engine. Basically we turned 'Face Edges' ON and then proceeded to 'shade' the model with a 'color' which MATCHED the BACKGROUND. What this gave was the 'appearance' of HLR but with the added benefit that as you rotated the model, since it was really a 'shaded' model with edges turned ON, it updated dynamically, which was what people had come to expect a CAD system to do. However, the system didn't REALLY know which edges were hidden and which weren't since this was now all being done inside the graphics card and not the software, therefore when you ask to extract edges the system still THINKS that they are all visible.

To do what you want to do you will need to set your display using the OLD wireframe-based hidden edge view, which can be found at...

Preferences -> Visualization -> Visual

...and in the section titled 'General Display Settings' set the Rendering Style to 'Static Wireframe'. Now in the same dialog page go to the section titled 'Edge Display Settings' and set the Hidden Edges option to 'Invisible' and hit OK and you will be good to go. Just remember though, if you rotate the image, you will need to perform a View Regeneration before the display will again be correct.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back