Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extracting information from Workbench simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

maheshh

Mechanical
Aug 27, 2003
US
I am new to workbench environment. I am using v 10.0 and have questions about how to get results information about a specific location.

For example: I need directional deformation data on only one face. I can plot it by selecting only that one face, but how can I dump the data into ascii?

Also, is there a way to extract all the nodes/elements information of the model from Workbench so that it can be imported into Classic?

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

While workbench inevitably makes the lower-mid levels of analysis more user friendly it still does have it's pit falls as are evident here. The best thing is to create a database (*.db) and use classical Ansys for this task. It's been a while since I've done this and I don't have Ansys on this machine...but from workbench, go into the main tab of workbench (I think it's the Project tab...furthest to the left on top) and once in there you'll see an Ansys classic symbol on the left hand side (providing it's installed on your machine). Click that button and it will take the current entities from workbench and transfer them to classic...it could take a minute or so. From there just save as normal within Classic. You will need to request some sort of results ahead of time so that Ansys knows whether it's a structural analysis, thermal, etc.

Now that you have the database file an *.rst or *.rth is automatically created when solving in WB. This file should be present in the solver working directory. You should be all set at this point.

If you have trouble post and I'll try to be of more help when I have Ansys up in front of me.

Good luck.

Hi,
while Stringmaker's suggestions are valid on general terms, for the specific problem you have asked it is useless to go to Classical:
- request a Solution Item such as "Deformation -> Directional" where the scope is limited to the only face of interest
- request "Calculate results" (warning: not "solve", of course...)
- right-click on the solution item, and choose "Export". It will send it automatically to Excel. Warning: in Excel, it SEEMS the format is "xls" but it is NOT: it's a formatted text format; so, when you want to save it, choose the proper "xls" format.

If, in the Options, you choose to "Save nodes locations" together with the results, the Excel columns will be:
- node number
- X coord
- Y coord
- Z coord
- result value

You can not export several results types at the same time: you've got to send them to separate Excels, then copy-paste.

Warning: in v.11, the data saving procedure is completely different, since the "Export" option has disappeared: every result is presented as tabular data directly into the "Tabular Data" panel (which can auto-hide, so activate it if you can't see it...), from which you can copy-paste as if you already were in Excel ("a bit" more limited, but it works anyway... And allows you to partial selections, not bad).

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back