Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extreme Temps and Reinforced Concrete

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmendler

Structural
Jan 30, 2003
US
Does anyone have any information about strength reduction of Concrete (high strength and normal strength) at extreme temps (270-330 F). I can only find reports in the (527-1112 F)range. Im looking into using a concrete storage tank. However the consultant that I have been using says it can't be done at those temps. I disagree, but can't find any information on my temp range.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You could try BS 8110:part 2:1985 Structural use of Concrete - special cirumstances.

It provides design curves or the reduction of strength at elevated temperatures. They are pretty simple approximations though. The indicate concrete strength beginning to drop off at 350 C. The strength of grade 250 and 460 reinforcing bars dropping off at 300C, and prestressing strands dropping off at 150C.

Another standard is the current European standard, Eurocode 2 (BS EN 1992-1-2:2004). It deals solely with concrete performace in fire and contains data on thermal stress and strains etc.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[pimp]

Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.
Archimedes

Also, Had a look in an US concrete book I have which directed me to ACI 313 Recommended Practice for Design and Construction of Concrete Bins, Silos, and Bunkers for Storing Granular Materials.

This apparently contains data for the design of silo's to hold hot cement. I guess you may already have a copy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back