Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Extremely Basic Questions about Rubber

Status
Not open for further replies.

strongsocks

Specifier/Regulator
Jan 13, 2015
US
Hello eng-tips community. I am no where near close to being someone who knows anything about material science. I am working on an idea and want to use rubber. But choosing the right rubber has become way more cumbersome than I even thought. There is so much out there. I am hoping that if I gave a list of properties I am hoping to find in a Rubber some one might be able to point me in the right direction.

My Rubber Specifications:
Extremely Stretchable
Very Strong/hard to rip or break
Holds original form like a champ
Smooth & Not Sticky
Can be colored

Sorry if this is not in the right forum or if my complete lack of understanding of Rubber is offensive. Thanks again guys.

Strongsocks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thank you for the reply. The rubber will be used as a cover to a cylinder. Im trying to make a single sized rubber cover that would fit in multiple cylinders any where from 2" diameter to a 4" diameter. The Cylinders will be used outside exposed to natural elements and packed away in case when not in use.

Do you know of a good manufacture that could help me to find the right material to use to produce a run of these things?

I'd look in Thomas Register online. By cylinder, I assume you mean hydraulic cylinder. Nitrile, with suitable UV stabilizers, is probably your best bet - has decent oil resistance, and can be made to survive outdoors. EPDM is much more resistant to weathering/UV, but won't hold up to the inevitable oil leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back