Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extruded curbing vs precast concrete curbing 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

lindbls

Civil/Environmental
Apr 14, 2003
US
I'm working on a grading plan of a satellite solid waste transfer station (actually a "drop box" facility). I have two luminaires to be placed within the main driving area. To protect the luminaires from traffic, I'm planning on installing barrier-type curbing. The total length of the curbing is about 20 feet in a roughly elliptical shape.

Would it be cost beneficial using extruded curbing for this? Would I be ahead using precast barrier curbing? I've not used extruded curbing before. Would such a small quantity make it too expensive? I opted against bollards in an effort to provide more protection for the poles.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To bring a specific piece of equipment for such a small job is not cost effective. Do you have any other concrete work on the project? Usually that amount of curb can be hand formed at a better unit price.
Best, Tincan

Have you considered moving the poles away from the dirveway and using longer arms? You might not need the curbing at all.

------------------------------------------
"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys typing on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare.

Blair Houghton

I agree that forming the curb will be cheaper than a curb machine with such a small quantity, but the unit price is going to be high with either one. I have no experience with precast curbing. Reconsider using bollards. I think they will give more protection than curbs. Trucks can run over a curb while barely noticing it, plus there is the vehicle overhang to consider.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to spec cement concrete traffic curb and let the contractor choose how to get it done. Our DOT std specs call for forming, with option for contractor to present alternate methods. Seems reasonable, especially as the unit cost will probably be pretty high no matter what we do.

Bollards...considering the cost of a bollard vs. a damaged light pole, bollards are looking like a pretty good deal.

It would be challenging (and expensive) to relocate the light pole as it is in the bulls-eye of a circular driving area providing light 360 degrees. It would probably lead to at least one additional luminaire.

Thanks again!

Truck drivers and night time? I'd consider 'jersey' barriers for the protection. You can buy them from large highway/ heavy contractors. They have them stockpiled all over the US

Jersey barriers aren't pretty, but they are functional. If aesthetics are a concern, as well as protection of the luminaire, curbing and bollards may be in order.

How did you arrive at cubing proviing more protection than steel bollards at 2' or 3' on center, filled solid with concrete?

Jersey barriers are overkill, curbing won't do a thing to protect against trucks.

I second Maury on the bollards, and I'd be surprised if the Twp./County doesn't require them for public safety. Cheap too; no special equipment needed to install, laborers can do it all by hand.

The site will be limited to passenger vehicles and small trucks (pickup trucks) and will not be open in evenings or at night. Large vehicles won't be allowed.
The thought on the curbing would be to prevent (or strongly discourage) cars from running up over the curb and striking the luminaire.

But, as I mentioned earlier, I will be including bollards as well now. You're spot-on...bollards are cheap and easy to install during the construction.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back