Extruded Geogrids versus Coated Polyester Knit Geogrids

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhan210

Materials
Nov 8, 2017
US
Hello all,

New to the forum and looking for your advice.

I am looking for analysis or information on the performance comparisons between extruded, hole punched polypropylene geogrids versus PVC coated, high-tenacity polyester knitted geogrids. Advantages and disadvantages and such. Is there a preference in the industry?

Any resources or links that anyone can recommend?

Really appreciate any guidance. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Don't know these terms, but if "knitted" means a material that can stretch easily, no way for using it for earth retention use. You want high strength with minimum stretch.

There are geogrid products on the market that are made of extruded sheet of polypropylene that is hole punched to create the apertures.

The other product is a knitted polyester "skeleton" fabric which is then coated with PVC or other polymer.

I was hoping to find information on the comparisons between the two.

THanks

I have heard of both but have no clients of one is better than the other. The only care I have is if the manufacture can guarantee a tensile capacity etc

High strength polyester soil reinforcement is a low creep product with well defined design values. Polypropylene is a high creep product so ultimate strength has to be factored down quite a bit to obtain a safe load capacity

Depends on what you want to do with the materials, wall or slope reinforcement vs. road base reinforcement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back