Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Facility access control barrier placement

Status
Not open for further replies.

stewbaby

Mechanical
Jan 29, 2003
US
Tightening up security at a petrochemical facility. We have heavy automated gates in place already, but are looking to prevent "gate crashers" (terrorist) from getting direct (straight path) access into the plant.

There isn't enough room to re-align the entrance to slow vehicles down (county road), so looking to do the job inside our facility just past the guard house. I'm thinking of canalizing the 18 wheeler traffic thru a Jersey barrier (prefab concrete barrier) routing that will cause traffic to slow down considerably (5 to 10 MPH max speed). Can anyone give spec on standard layout of such barrier placement for 18 wheeler control or direct me to a web site?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The Department of Defense has provided this type of training to various groups (some of my previous coworkers attended a class at Ft. Belvior (sp?), VA). Of course the Army TMs relating to this matter are FOUO (For Official Use Only), and are not available to the general public.

Looks as if ASTM is getting in the run of things as well, possibly issuing a new standard for just the sort of thing you are looking to build.
You may also try and see if API or like organizations have some technical support available.

Sorry I don't have any specifics, but this may get you started.

Dan

You might try your local law inforcement agencies. They now have access to a lot of the Homeland Security info. and may be able to get some of the information you need. Or, contact the Homeland Security Office nearest you.

Call yourm local Traffic Engr. or DOT. They can tell you turning radii for various vehicles. Or Bring out the jersey barriers and push them so it looks too tight for th trucks. Keep a forklift out until the first one appears. Use that one for the test. push/pull the barriers around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back