Factory Acceptance Tests for injection molds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sold5

Industrial
Mar 26, 2023
IE
Hi there,

Could anyone suggest a resource to find information on how to complete FAT trials for injection molds? Or a sample FAT report for an injection mold from a toolmaker? It's to develop knowledge of a bunch of quality engineers who get molds built and deal with trade molders.

Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes the FAT trials would include molding parts and checking them against the customers critical dimensions as well as a bunch of other stuff like dry cycling the mold to make sure its opening and closing ok, the tool steel used, textures, steel hardening etc etc. It's this detail I was hoping to find a template or sample report or checklist for.

That seems a bit backwards; shouldn't the requirements come from your own drawings/design? What are your critical dimensions, finishes, etc.? Do your design dimensions adequately account for shrinkage, etc.? What FAT requirements were imposed on the supplier? They surely didn't bid to perform to an unknown set of requirements.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

You are right, all the details should come from the customer. It's very easy to omit some important details however so rather than learning from mistakes I was hoping to see a sample report or template that would have some details that might be missed if a spec for an FAT trial was made up from scratch. I do understand people won't want to share confidential documents but I thought someone might have generic documents - like I've seen generic IQ/ OQ/ PQ documents that are a good starting point for validations.

But, how was this bid? SOMEONE must have had an idea of the amount of effort for the FAT when the contract was bid.

Just from googling "injection mold first article test procedure"

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back