Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

facts about xlpe cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

matchbox

Electrical
Aug 24, 2003
PH
anyone who could help me regarding the specification of xlpe...can anyone nominate a good brand of cable with rating 7.2KV, 60mm2. i'm gonna use the said cable for our expansion of our local substation. acutally the line is rated at 6.6KV.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Okonite and Kerite are top of the line cable manufacturers. Unfortunately neither of them manufacture XLPE cable. Try Southwire or Pirelli.

You might have noticed some differences of opinion, in these responses, which is to be expected. These days, both EPR and TRXLPE can be very good insulation compounds. The trick is in finding a good manufacturer, and making sure that they know you care about the quality of the cable they make for you.
In the past, I have purchased good cable from Pirelli, Southwire, General Cable, and Hendrix. I have found good and bad plants within the same company, so I now typically qualify specific extrusion lines versus manufacturers.

If you are serious about quality, you might consider visiting the plants you have selected to make sure that they have acceptable quality control processes in place. If you are unsure of what to look for there are a number of consultants out there who can help you inspect the plant. You may also wish to be present to witness electrical testing of your cable before it is released to your company.

The first place to start is your specification. Using AEIC (Association of Edison Illluminating Comanies) and ICEA (Insulated Cable Engineers of America) specifications, you can make sure that they will build a quality cable for you.
Below are the specs that I make the most use of in cable design...

AEIC NO. CS-8-2000: "Specifications for Extruded Dielectric, Shielded Power Cables Rated 5 through 46 kV."

ICEA PUB. NO. S-94-649-2000: "Standard for Concentric Neutral Cables Rated 5,000 – 46,000 Volts"

Hope this gets you off to a good start.

Kraigb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back