Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Failed to Save

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yep - on more than one occasion. Never been able to work around it either, unfortunately. I've tried saving locally, over the network, doing a Save As, etc. No luck with anything I've tried.

It seems when this happens that the assembly file becomes temporarily "corrupt", for lack of a better term. I have thus far always been able to re-open the file and continue working in it (and saving). Always after a reboot, of course.

I have seen this. Do uninstall/reinstall with virus protection off. Then reboot. This has fixed it for me.

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
SolidWorks/PDMWorks 05
AutoCAD 05
ctopher's home site (updated 06-21-05)
FAQ559-1100
FAQ559-716

I had a user tell me this the other day. They were getting the same issue as you are and said what they done was they closed many windows that were open (ones that had previously been saved) and then the assembly would save fine.

So if you many windows open, close some and see if that helps.

support69 [conehead]

I've been getting this since our SW2006 upgrade, mostly in an assembly with multiple configurations. Switching configurations takes a LONG time, then the "Failed to Save" message comes up. Did not see this with 2005 SP5 on the same assembly.

I've had the same trouble with assemblies with multiply configs. Sounds like a buffer error, where solidworks isn't releasing buffer memory. Sometimes closing windows helps, but not all the time. I've seen this type of issue over the years, but this one seems a little more elusive, the assemblies I'm using aren't that big, but do have many references.

As Chris has stated "to uninstall/reinstall", I've always turned off the virus protection, which leads me to believe it could be something in a certain SP upgrade that is affecting us.

I had the same problem last night. I was finished at the end of the day and hit save. All it did was give me an hourglass and I could not get anything to work in solidworks. I closed all of my other open windows, checked the task manager and it did not show any high cpu use or memory use. I ended up just leaving it run and going home for the night with hopes that it would fix itself by morning. This morning it was still the same so I ended up restarting.

Frustrating.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back