Status
Not open for further replies.

TED OH

Mechanical
Dec 8, 2020
KR
Hello All

All is well with you.

I got a Failured rubber(NBR) O-ring as soon as machine operated.
The manchine has been under 1.5bar and athmosphere temperature and it was not contacted any steam or water.
It had only some lubricant oil

I found out rubber o-ring had transverse failure mode as soon as dis-assembled manchine.

You guys can see the failure mode O-ring as below photo.
and I cut the failure part of O-ring

the surface of O-ring is very smooth but there are some porosity?

Could you please advise me the casue of failure and other reason?

20201209_115347_titzqp.png

20201209_115312_ilbewl.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I see a similar failure on tube and socket fittings if the tube is not properly constrained. At every pressure cycle the the tube moves in and out which causes the o-ring to twist. Eventually it twists so much it tears through the center like this. There is usually a spiral shape to the tear in the case I have described so this may not apply to your situation. Explosive decompression creates a straight split like we see in your picture but that requires a rapid pressure change. I don't think 1.5 bar would so that.

That's a weird one. Agree with Tug, it might be decompression related, but hard to think how, unless it was subjected to a high pressure test with a gas (helium, CO2), maybe for leak detection... somewhere along the way. Another possibility is a mold defect, it almost looks like the rubber in the area is not fully cured.

Did you buy the machine all assembled from someone else, or build it?

Pictures and drawings of the sealed joint would be helpful.

The parker handbook ( and others ) have lots of information how to design static sealing joints, sliding joints, and rotating joints.
The requirements for o-ring cross section, o-ring compression, surface finishes, abutments and more are NOT the same for all joints.

if you bought the o-ring Does the o-ring supplier provide any documentation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back