Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Failure criteria 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpblasques

Marine/Ocean
Nov 24, 2006
DK
Hi all

I am using a 3D formulation of the Tsai-Wu Strength index (TWSI) to assess the strength of a laminate. I would like to know if it is possible to decompose it into different contributions (like the tensile, compressive and delamination contributions)? That is, at a certain point of the laminate with a certain value of the TWSI I would like to know if the problem is tensile stress, compressive stress or delamination.

I have seen the Hashin failure criteria being used in parts corresponding to the tensile, compressive and delamination failures. However I have never used this failure criteria before and I don't know how accurate it is with respect to Tsai-Wu's. Anyone can give me a hint on this one?

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1) there is no validated way to determine the critical stress with the TW criteria, though you can make some guesses by comparing ratios of the various stress components; however

2) The Tsai-Wu, Hashin, and other ply failure theories give, at best, poor correlations to in-plane strength test data. And they do not at all correlate to delamination onsets (fracture mechanices based criteria are required in order to predict delamination).

For the results of an extensive evaluation of composite failure theories, see this paper:

M. J. Hinton, et. al., “A Comparison of the Predictive Capabilities of Current Failure Theories for Composite Laminates, Judged Against Experimental Evidence”, Composites Science and Technology, Vol. 62, 2002, pp 1725-1797.

along with many of the references listed therein.

My understanding is that Tsai-Wu doesn't predict the failure mode. However, LaRC02 failure criteria is supposed to give some insight.

That is why I posted my question about the next round of the world wide failure excercise being discussed at a recent conference.

Tom Stanley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back