Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

failure mode maps for Sandwich

Status
Not open for further replies.

melixman2016

Structural
Jul 8, 2016
DE
Hello,
I would like to load a Sandwich on bending with the help of the ANSYS Workbench!
Is it possible to create failure mode maps (see Appendix) using Ansys Workbench(Design of experiments)?
Inputs: L, t, d
Output: the maximum principal stress
How i can know which one will fails the surface or the core using ansys workbench in certain design parameterd

I am eternally grateful, and i really appreciate your help.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=9003d601-2a83-4f77-966b-435ca761dfbb&file=2.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not familiar with Sandwich testing etc so please ignore if my comments aren't useful.

OP said:
Is it possible to create failure mode maps (see Appendix) using Ansys Workbench(Design of experiments)? Inputs: L, t, d
You could make those dimensions parameters in SpaceClaim/DesignModeler.

OP said:
Output: the maximum principal stress
You may specify several output parameter such as directional stresses at the core and face. To differentiate between "indentation" and "face yield", a few well placed stress output parameters could be used.

After checking the output parameters to a few known cases to verify you are able to distinguish the different failure modes, you could do a Design of Experiment study to extract the output parameters used to create the failure mode map.

Happy 4th!
Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back