Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

failure modes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rahulbarve

Structural
Aug 3, 2008
SG
there is this contractor who is substituting a standard arm of an excavator to a much longer arm
(lengthened about 50%). he is using this excavator to drive down some steel c sections (size about 150-200 mm) into ground (these piles are like temporary supports for main excavation). he says that the operating condition is that the boom is only acting like a link to obtain deeper reach, and driving mechanism is attached in place of the bucket.

my question is that what can be possible failure modes of the excavator boom other than buckling? is there a need for a detailed fea analysis to ensure the structural adequacy of the boom?
have any one of you ever experienced failure of an excavator boom??

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One possible failure mode is bending. Another is overturning of the machine. Another is overloading something else back behind the section in question.

I would not see this as something requiring FEA.

If it's a link with pin joints at each end then you won't have bending. I'd do a static analysis on the loads to calculate the forces in each member given maximum forces that any hyrdraulics can give, for example, just in case there are additional loads elsewhere. The other failure mode may be fatigue damage. It's a hand calculation job unless there's a specific complex component that is carrying excessive loads.

corus

Whats the reason for worrying? Isnt this a means and methods for the contractor to worry about? Also, whats the weight of the driving end? Compare that to the regular arm bucket capacity and derive a overturning moment. I would defer this the the mfg too

thank you for the posts everyone..
we are worrying as we r responsible for submitting calcultions for this modification work and certify so tht the owner is worryfree :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back