Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Fall Peotection

JStructsteel

Structural
Aug 22, 2002
US
For a 5000lb fall protection load, is that also lateral or just vertical?

For a person falling over the edge, what amount of eccentricity do you use for torsion on the beam?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1. 5000lb is the unfactored load.
2. That is in any direction in a 360 sphere, use engineering judgement to figure out the critical direction Shear, Bending, Axial Tension.
3. Eccentricity is whatever the height or length of the anchor. Where does the person attach to?

Thanks.

It’s an eye on a small column on top of the beam. The any direction answers my eccentricity question, it seems 5k left/right will impart a torsion on my beam.

Recently a fall protection load was added to IBC. Its listed as a 3600# 3100# live load, which works out to 5,000# factored load.

I generally don't consider these to be "any direction" but rather, any direction where a fall load could occur.
For a typical rooftop application, that likely means a horizontal load in any direction. For a typical platform/tank access, that probably means a load downward around 45 degrees. I`ve never applied this load upward.

Thanks Bulb - you`re correct that its 3100# and not 3600# as I originally typed. I edited my post.

I`m not sure that I follow your interpretation of the directionality.
Did you highlight "EVERY DIRECTION" to mean that you think a load applied straight up would be appropriate?
I consider the latter half of that sentence to indicate that isn't necessary, and a fall arrest load couldn't be applied upward.

You're welcome, Once20036.

Did you highlight "EVERY DIRECTION" to mean that you think a load applied straight up would be appropriate?
The "every direction" is included in the clause of the code. Just something I wanted to point out to OP, so the design isn't limited to one particular scenario in case there's a possibility for other scenarios. I always consider "straight" and "non-straight", say "biaxial" to capture different limit states.

Back