Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Falling Head Permeabilty Head Scratcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

caddyr2

Geotechnical
Mar 14, 2008
US
So I am running falling head perms on both remolded and shelby tube samples and I notice that mainly in some shelby tube samples after about a 5 days soak period and when i begin taking readings there is an occation that a sample may not drop. Even after an entire day it does not drop even 1 cm. I am running 13' of head so there should be pleanty of pressure to complete the test. Occationally I notice that if i pull the cover off the sampler, reinstall, and flush the entrapped air out of the lines and mold that the sample drops. Normally this fixes the problem until the sample I have in now. It has not dropped in 3 days! In fact, it has raised up the plastic tubing I use to take readings as if the sample swelled, although it is not a fat clay and should have a low swell. I had previously been told that over time all samples will permeate but after 3 days my previous thought is beginning to change. Anyone else got advice or had this problem? By the way I did scarify both surfaces so that it is not being sealed during trimming. I'm pulling my hair out on this one.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What's the predicted permeability of the soil/soil type under test? Falling head tests are suitable for a range of soil permeabilities but not all soils. If you are expecting very low permeabilities i.e. less than 1 x 10-9m/s, you may have to go to a constant head test. As part of this you will go through a saturation and consolidation phase, and even where you get very low rates of flo through the sample, it will perm.

Well I wasn't expecting a rate less that 1x10^-9 based on past tests on similar soils. I am letting the sample sit for an extra week to see what happens. I predict it at more of 1x10^-8 or faster. I should probably start looking at constant head. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back