Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

false certs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ASME can DO exactly nothing. They have no enforcement ability.

They can with hold certifications. But apparently the offending party doesn't really care about that.

Exactly nothing as posted above. I've been involved in about 10 incidents over the years were this has happened, from a world wide welding groups to small fabrication shops. One very large project involving about 20 welders our company tried to go after civil damages due to time lost and having to qualify welders for the project and they lost and had to some of the offenders legal fees. When we removed them from the site the company went on to a very big job in Puerto Rico.
The area with the most falsifications has been with been with SS by SMAW and TIG welding Titanium.

If you have proof that records were falsified, and assuming that the contract documents stipulate the requirement to use ASME certified welders, I would provide the vendor with the opportunity to generate an NCR. If he doesn't want to, then you should generate the NCR. In most project environments product can't be shipped while there are open NCR's.
It seems to me that a fair disposition would call for the vendor to qualify the welders and if any fail the test, their welds would have to be cut out and replaced by a qualified welder.
Keep in mind that there is some latitude in qualifying welders per ASME Sec IX and in certain cases it may be acceptable to qualify a welder by radiographing a certain length of their production weld(s).

When qualifying welders or welding procedures you must remember that the applicable construction code may modify the requirements of Section IX. For example, welders test coupons can be evaluated by bend tests or radiography per Section IX, however, if the welding is per B31.3, high pressure, radiography isn't permitted. The qualification is by guided bend tests only.

Some projects require the welders to be qualified by testing on the job site by a third party. It is pricey, but it mitigates the opportunity for the erector to falsify welder qualification test records.

In the event there is doubt of the welder's ability to deposit sound welds, the inspector representing the owner usually has the authority to require the welder to be retested.

Best regards - Al

Have you read your contract? Does it state qualified personal?
ASME might not be able to do anything but if your contract was properly written with these types of scenarios there is always the possibility of lawsuits.

What you want to say with " Falsification of welders certificates ". Papers (WPQ) are not according with ASME IX essential variables for welders and for your process? or there are not evidence of testing (Bend Guided or RT)? I do not deal to t What you refer

If you have proof of such false documents or you can proof by extensive knowledge all you have to do is contact your State AG's Office.
Trust me I deal with them all the time. Every AG's office has a Consumers Division and Fraud Division.
They are the best to contact if you feel that no one else can help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back