Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FAMILY TABLE 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

troy06

Mechanical
Jul 21, 2006
US
Can someone give me the quick and easy on how to name the comumns of a family table. Ex. if d1 represents the diameter of a cylinder I want the column of d1 to say "diameter".please help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You have to change the symbol of the dimension. Select the dimension, RMB Properties and change the symbolic name from d1 to diameter.

There is a way I found more convenient

Create a parameter name diameter, as a real number, use the relation toolbox to equal d1=diameter

Then when you edit the family table, add new colums, select parameters insted of dimension, then select the param diameter and load it into the family table.

The other way works, but if you need other dimension to use the diameter value as well, you can't name two dimensions with a same name (in this case diameter). In case if you family table grows

You can write an equation dxxx=diameter if you need a second linked dimension with either technique. No need to add dxxx to the family table in either case. Adding a parameter is fine but it just adds overhead to accomplish the same thing. With the parameter you will not be able to edit the dimension in the models, you will have to change the parameter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back