Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Family Tables in NX12 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl Evans

Mechanical
Jul 2, 2019
GB
Hi
New to NX and the eng-tips forum, so please excuse any ignorance on my behalf.
I have a small assembly - a circular plastic part with a length of wire within it, the length is determined by (internal diameter + cross section of plastic part) x pi - quite simple.
They come in various diameters so I am looking at a family table part with a tabulated drawing.
Table on drawing would list diameters of plastic part and the length of wire needed for each family member.
I have set up an expression for 'wire length' but when I come to add it to the drawing table it is not listed as an option.
I have picked and shown the 'diameter' dimension but adding 'wire length' is proving problematic.
Any help greatly appreciated - Carl

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Carl,

Welcome to the Eng-Tips Forum!

The Expression is available in the part family spreadsheet as a Choice? I am assuming you have added the partfamily table as the source for your Drawing table?
If the expression is not available in the partfamily spreadsheet then it will not show in drawing table either

Ronald van den Broek
Senior Application Engineer
Winterthur Gas & Diesel Ltd
NX9 / TC10.1.2

Building new PLM environment from Scratch using NX12 / TC11

Thanks for your response
I have created some expressions - diameter and heel depth - these are just the (renamed) dimensions from the sketch and are available as a column option in the Part Families Spreadsheet Columns so no problems with these.
The expression I created, which is derived from a formula of the other expressions above (diameter plus heel depth) multiplied by pi, does not show as an 'available column' so I cannot get the values to show on the drawing table.

Speaking under correction here but if I remember correctly, you can’t have a calculated value added as an expression.

So if you have a formula in the formula field of your expression it won't be allowed into a part family as it could create a circular reference.
Basically you will need to write the formula INSIDE your part family spreadsheet.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious."

Okay, thanks Don that seems to be working better.
Have just added a few more family table members and now struggling to get the table to update to show the new parts...

If it's not one thing it's another :)

Thanks again...

I'm glad it solved your problem.

It will probably be easier to delete the existing table & reinsert it.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious."

Yeah there is no direct connection between your table on the drawing and the spreadsheet of the partfamily.
It is just an import and therefor no "live" updates.
Best way would be to recreate it or select the top left cell and do the import again (this way you at least keep some of the formatting)

Ronald van den Broek
Senior Application Engineer
Winterthur Gas & Diesel Ltd
NX9 / TC10.1.2

Building new PLM environment from Scratch using NX12 / TC11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back