Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fan Coil Unit Pipe Connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluenote49

Mechanical
Oct 6, 2013
SA
Can somebody elaborate the meaning and importance of identifying weather the FCU is right hand or left hand type. From my understanding these are locations of coil connections for the supply and return water and will depends on the flow of the air if its going from left to right or right to left. I'm confused, how could you identify it in a drawing lay out.

Please help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think the OP is right thinking whether a FCU is left hand or right hand depends on which side the water connections are. Air flow is the same.

I agree fan coil unit left-hand or right-hand depends on the coil connection side. Important when coordinating piping connections with tight installation clearances.

Bluenote, sorry for the late reply. Follow the air. If you are an air molecule proceeding from an AHU to a diffuser, a right coil will be on your right and a left will be on your left...

It generally is needed for service access, to specify LH or RH as the valve, etc will be on that side. Different manufacturers seem to have different terminology, some determine LH or RH as if the air blowing out of the unit was "hitting the back of your head" as one sales rep described for me. In general the piping drawings show which side the unit is to connected to and has to be "caught" in submittals if it is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back