Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

fan curve estimation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheetos

Mechanical
Jul 27, 2007
US
Hi, guys, for a centrifugal fan curve, you have 2 end points (0 CFM, Max SP) and (Max CFM, 0 SP). I though I could use the Bernoulli equation to verify it, but it's not working. Maybe someone can shed light on what I'm missing. Max SP + 1/2 density * (0 CFM/area)^2 = 0 SP + 1/2 * density * (Max CFM/area)^2

I thought the total energy transferred by the fan should be the same at any point along the fan curve. At 0 CFM, all the energy is converted into pressure head, and at max CFM, all the energy is converted into kinetic energy. The only thing I can think of is, for Max CFM case, the air in the centrifugal fan has to turn 90 degr, so in addition to full kinetic energy at the outlet, maybe some of the energy is converted during the 90 degr turn?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

At maximum pressure you'll have more electrical energy converted to waste heat from the motor. So miningman is right about efficiency, you need to consider that.

Thanks guys. One thing I'm trying to figure out is whether it is possible to estimate both end points of the fan curve based on RPM and fan geometry. I'm trying to do a very rough estimate of the fan performance. If I can get both end points, I can draw a straight line, and based on my system resistance, I can estimate where my operating point is.

Is it possible to derive equations to estimate those points or should I just follow @EnergyProfessional's suggestion and research from vendors? With that as a baseline, I can use fan laws to estimate my performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back