Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

fan wiring a violation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenal

Electrical
Aug 20, 2001
US
A fan comes with installation instructions showing it installed with two switches. One switch is a master power switch, the other allows the user to select between the maximum speed and a lower speed that can be set on the fan itself. The installer installs the master switch and connects the remaining two wires together so the fan is either on full speed or fully off. By disregarding the instructions, has the installer violated listing and therefore violated NEC? Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Unless the installation instructions show or describe an option for installing without the speed switch, I can see it being an issue with some inspectors.

Perhaps some correspondence with the manufacturer/supplier might help.

David Castor

Stevenal, it sounds like (but isn't clear to me) the two switches are external to the fan?

If so (external switches), you're not violating the listing -- a wire nut can serve as a permanently-closed switch. UL listing doesn't extend past the end of the lead wires. The fan is "as tested" at UL unless you open it and change something. (I have done this exact thing before, as engineer of record in a bunch of schools -- I actually drew the wirenut on the plans. No problem with electrical AHJ in Memphis). Of course, you should check with your own AHJ for a final ruling if you're in a quandary.

If not (switches mounted in the fan housing and wired at the factory), you're violating the UL to open it and jump out the switch.

Good on ya,

Goober Dave

Oops I forgot my disclaimer, "In my humble opinion, based on my personal experience, ..."

But you two posters above me are old-timers, so I'll not worry.

Good on ya,

Goober Dave

The switches are external.

I must disagree that the listing does not extend past the wires. Certainly it would violate the listing to hook it to the wrong voltage or operate it it the wrong atmosphere.

No wish to involve an inspector at this stage, just collecting ammo to attempt to get the installer to do it right.

If you want the switch, I think you can make a pretty good case that the installer did not follow the manuf. installation instructions, so UL listing is void and the installation is a violation of NEC. I don't think it is a safety hazard as installed, but that's a different question.

David Castor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back