Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

fao JohnRBaker....

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJRATBAE

Mechanical
Dec 11, 2008
US
i've posted a thread titled UG NX4 PART VIEW but so far i've not had replies from anyone who's experienced similar problems, i believe you've replied on a similar thread to someone who wasn't aware what the icons were, is this a problem you're aware of?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I suspect that what has happened is that someone has used the WRONG command to add an additional view(s) to the drawing and instead has used the 'Add View from Part' command instead of using 'Base View'. If you did, there is nothing that you can do except delete the views and the extra components which were added the master Model Drawing assembly and start over, being case to ONLY use the 'Base View' command.

Because this was so confusing to people, having this extra Icon and Menu item which seemed to look like what I wanted to do, made a change starting with NX 5. Basically we now have ONLY one command for adding new 'base' views to a drawing and the default behavior is to always add only views from the current drawing file which will be traditional 'Base Views'. If however you wish to add a view from another part, including the original master model part (which is supported, but which should ONLY be done if that is EXACTLY what the user wanted in the first place), the user has to explicitly select some OTHER part file from a list of available part files before he can continue. But if he just accepts the default part file selected, everything will behave the was he probably will want it to in 90% of the cases. The other 10% is when the user really does want to include the view of some OTHER PART FILE on the current drawing generally for REFERENCE PURPOSES ONLY (meaning that none of it's components will be added to the Parts List). Examples might to show the assembly where the part, being documented by the drawing, is being used. Or if there is a similar part you you wish to reference for some reason, or a very popular situation, where you have an assembly with multiple arrangements and you wish to show more than just the default arrangement, such as perhaps an assembly with some of the components in alternative positions or even with optional parts included or assembled in different ways.

As an example, look at the PDF file attached below. It shows an assembly which can be delivered with 3 different hand-wheel configurations, which were created using Arrangements in the original assembly file. However the drawing is just of the default or normal configuration, but I added two additional views, only these were created as explicitly from the original assembly, just each using a different arrangement, each showing a different style hand-wheel. So of the 3 isometric views in the lower right-hand part of the drawing, only the first one on the left was created as a normal add a 'Base View' type of operation, while the other two were added using what used to be called prior to NX 5 as the 'Add View from Part' command. Note that Parts List only reflects the content and qty of parts from the original assembly, the one shown in the orthographic and the first isometric view.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
NX Design
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

thanks for your reply, this one has beat me into submission and i'm gonna just recreate the drawing, the drawing specification file has only one model pulled into it, when it was first created the model was definately introduced using base view command because i had to create two custom views in 'model view' within the drafting application - surely this wouldn't have been possible had the original model been introduced using part view....anyhow i'm gonna delete views, starting with the last created to see if any of the drawing can be salvaged.

thanks again for your input

dave roberts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back