Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Farmer's Common Problem - Borewell Pump-Motor damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

machineryguy007

Mechanical
Dec 2, 2013
JP

My country side relative has 3 phase borewell pumps (5 hp, borewell depth 700 ft) in country side place in maharashtra, India, which gets burned often.
This causes huge problem for water supply/maintenance execution etc . There not good facilty to take out pump(heavy manual work) & check, hence it takes weeks to repair/restore.

I believe the main cause for this are two 1) ‘Pump running dry’ 2) ‘Supply voltage problem’.
I am not sure what exactly(optimum) solution should be considered as per availability.

1) To avoid case of ‘Pump running dry’. Please advise what protection methods are available to ensure motor gets tripped if level in the well drops or flow in the pump drops too low ? Some auto stop/disconnect circuit types are available ?

2) To avoid damage due to ‘Supply voltage problem’. For electrical issue I do not have much idea, but I think starter should start only when all 3 phase voltage level is healthy. Please advise.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Both very basic solutions which should be available from any reasonable well pump supplier in a major population area. We could go into long discussion of what is needed but you are still left with the problem of sourcing the equipment - therefore you are just as well off talking to the supplier.

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

Yes that is noted, thank you.
But, which solution to opt is not know/. I would like to know how other farmers do it normally.
I have heard of some 'starters' can trip the motor a) if the voltage drops in any of the phase b) voltage is more or less is within 416 (+/-10%), hence over current trip circuits are also available.
If some farming industry supplier info/internet link is available it can be useful.

For dry run protection i have not heard , if some supplier with some solution can be very useful.

Type into google "no flow switch water pump" and "under voltage protection" will answer your questions

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back