Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

fasten aluminum to aluminum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tofflemire

Marine/Ocean
Oct 3, 2002
CA
Hi All

I have a little problem, We have a product that relies on a loctite product to bond Aluminum to Aluminum (interference fit), this also is a primary seal. The product is air deployed into water (impact force Approx. 100g's). The parts are spring loaded, so when the product hits the water, one part sheers the loctite bond, and breaks the seal. Does anyone have suggestions on how to mechanically rework these parts, or a really strong epoxy for Aluminum?

Thanks,
Tofflemire

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Acp
Please help out 4 this problem of tofflemire....and Acp Im in touch with that sundyne issue will let u know the details
more later
vj

Tofflemire,

In my opinion,if you are using shrink fitting for joining/
keeping these two components together,then there is no use of using loctite or any adhesive as while fitting these two components the layer of loctite will get vanished and no straces or layer of loctite will be there to bond them.

I suggest,if it is necessary to use loctite, then both the parts will have to be rough polished i.e. to create hills and vallys, so that shrink fit will be there and loctite will be in hills and vallys of rough polished surface and
hence the bodn will be effective.

The alternative way is use dutch man between two interfacing dia.Dutch man is nothing but a soc.set screw partly engaged in once component and partly engaged in other component.

The best way is to use 'O'Ring in between these two components and clamp them by means of screws, offcourse this is dependent upon space avaialibility.

Since the component are for marine application, are you using hard anodising on these ?

If any more information is required, you are welcome.

acp

Thanks ACP

The aluminum is not anodized, the product is short life 30 to 90 days. I agree that orings are the most reliable and robust, but our application does not allow this, we used to have a fine thread 5/8-20 to screw these 2 parts together, but machining these threads were inconsistent (from machine shop to machine shop, the other engineer thought this way would be better, even against my warnings.
The real problem is how to rework a large quantity that has been aready assembled and is in the final state.

Thanks
Tofflemire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back