Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Fastner Pitch

Status
Not open for further replies.

xcllyf

Jul 1, 2013
How to calculate rivet and bolts pitch. What are the minimum edge distance?I have seen in many places the fasteners is very close to edge( i mean with no edge distance at all)..how does it work?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi

A rule of thumb for edge distance to bolt or rivet centre is normally 1.5 times bolt or rivet diameter, although I have seen 1.0 bolt diameter used.
The distance from the edge to fastener centre is based on preventing tear out of the bolt or rivet when the joints put in tension. Click on the link below and under the heading of fasteners under direct shear you will find formula's for calculating shear stress relating to fastener edge distance.

Desertfox

A good reference specific to aircraft specifications is Chapter 8 of the MMPDS. the NASA Structures Manual is another good resource and is available online for free. The MMPDS is not free, but you can find it's predecessor, MIL-HDBK-5 online for free. I think revision J was the last one prior to changing to the MMPDS. A good reference for understanding fastener spacing in aircraft applications is Flabel's Structural Analysis for Design Engineers. Of course, Bruhn and Niu are good references as well, but not quite as accessible as Flabel.

"On the human scale, the laws of Newtonian Physics are non-negotiable"

dwallace1971,
Thanks. The reference you made is really good. I am going through it to get a better understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back