Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fatigue analysis SS (austenitic) piping

Status
Not open for further replies.

mylexicon

Mechanical
Dec 16, 2005
US
I was trying to perfom a dynamic (harmonic analysis) on a piping system of SS austenitic type) material. In order to check my dynamic stresses, I was looking for the appropriate source of reference and the applicable S-N (stress range vs. no. of cycles) curve. So, I did some reading and I am a little lost now. I am having a hard time deciding what curve and what source to use for my fatigue assessment.
Questions:
1) ASME VIII Div 3...
In Article KD-3 of 'ASME VIII-Div 3' S-N curves are provided for different parent material and a safety factor of 2.0 (converting peak to peak stress to zero to peak) is recommended. For the speicific case of Austenitic SS, S-N curve in Fig. KD-320.3M is available and Cycles are limited to 1e6. Does this curve apply to both welded and non-welded SS parts? And what if the fatigue analysis is for cycles higher than 1e6? what do we do then?

2) The other sources I was considering for my analysis are BS5500 & BS7608. BS has a fundamentally different approach...just One S-N curve is used for CS, SS, & Aluminum alloys but the temperature limits of applicability are different for each material. For components which are in service, curves are provided for different 'weld' classes! these curves define a 97.7% probability of survival. What is confusing me is that the stress values which I read off the BS7608 curves are much less (i.e.; more conservative) than that of the ASME VIII curve for austenitic SS!!!
So how about it? how do I get past this dilemma? any guidance is appreciated.
thanks,
Farzad

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Farzad-

Have you considered looking at the old (2006 and earlier) VIII Div. 2 curves? Fig. 5-110.2.2 goes to 10^11 cycles. This curve would apply to both welded and non-welded components - with appropriate SIF's included.

jt

jte-
you mean I won't find Fig. 5-110.2.2 in more recent editions of VIII Div 2? I only have the 2007 edition and just scanned through it and could not find these curves!
btw, I do have an old copy of Fig. 5-110.1 (from VIII, Div 2) which is the design fatigue curve for CS, low alloy, ...,high alloy,high Tensile steels at T<700F ....for cycles up to 10^6 only. Anyhow, I don't think it is applicable to Austenitic Steel which is the case i am dealing with.
thanks alot though, i'll try to find Fig. 5-110.2.2 and see if i can use that.

regards,

Farzad

Yes, the fatigue evaluation approach changed from the "old" Div. 2 with the publication of the completely rewritten "new" Div. 2 in 2007.

jt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back