Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fatigue analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badri07

Mechanical
Mar 17, 2008
GB
Hi All,

I have been doing static structural analysis,and now i am trying to teach myself on how to do fatigue analysis.I would appreciate your comments on preliminary basics theory i need to study to make my understanding of fatigue analysis results better.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

hi,
according to my knowledge, Fatigue Analysis will be performed for the structural elements under FREQUNET type of vibrations, which is more probable in mechanical and aeronautical cases, like airplane wings, fuselage stress analysis or engine design.
but, in case of buildings you have to be more SPECIFIC, since it can be really broad area of disputes. However, to be able to do this type of analysis you need to develope a prerequisite knowledege of:
1-Nonlinear analysis (large displacements)
2-Plastic Analysis
3-Advanced Dynamic Analysis (NLN Time History analysis, etc..)
I recommend to check ANSYS Fatigue Module:
to get an idea about the procedure.

cheers,
Sam

Badri07,
Depends on which fatigue analysis you are trying to teach yourself. There's classical fatigue analysis and there's also FE fatigue analysis. As a beginer you would need a very good grounding in theorectical fatigue analysis.

I would recommend :Fatigue of Structures and Materials by Jaap Schijve-(Expensive but it is the best fatigue analysis text-book available by a mile). Once you have a very good grasp of the concept of fatigue and the different approaches to fatigue analysis..the rest is down to engineering judgement.

FE fatigue I believe you would be able to proceed with once you have a good theorectical knowledge of fatigue. There are a couple of FE fatigue codes/packages available today -nCode is quite a good. You might even want to proceed with your own codes if you'r programming skills are up to the task.

Hope this helps....

http://www.amazon.com/Fatigue-Structures-Materials-Jaap-Schijve/dp/0792370147
Fatigue analysis is not a part of FE analysis, but is a post processing of results. Software packages such as FE-safe apply post processing to the results of FE analysis.

Fatigue analysis is a very broad subject and is still a subject of research. An authoritative text would be ASM Metal Handbook on Fatigue. Books of Socie, Fatemi etc. are good. Google amazon for metal fatigue.

Read any machine design book for basics of fatigue design.

Gurmeet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back