Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fatigue Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

mecheng1234

Mechanical
May 31, 2012
GB
Firstly, i am pretty new to ABAQUS but understand the basic Engineering principles behind fatigue/fracture mechanics. I have also reviewed the ABAQUS Manuals but its not much help without examples.

Thus far, i have modeled a 2D plate with an edge crack under a static load and have compared SIF K1 values with published material for verification and it has worked. i did this using the J-contour integral crack method and not XFEM.

I am currently trying to perform a fatigue analysis of a plate with an edge crack in ABAQUS. its a pretty simple geometry under pure tension. Is it possible to perform this analysis and have the crack propagate based on a different number of cycles (i.e. 100,1000,10000, etc) while keeping the load constant.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What I know is that you need an additional module for Fatigue Analysis in abaqus called fe safe. Do not know if for low cycle fatigue you can develop a simulation without it.

good luck.

Thanks n3l3 for the quick response i will look into it.

i have another question that i know is possible in ABAQUS. i would like propagate a crack through the specimen using the J-Integral method under a varying load (mean stress being = 0MPa and stress range = 20 MPa), are there any tutorials on this?

no idea.

Actually the fatigue assesment I did, just acconuts the stresses in a macrostructure in a dynamic model, and assess the fatigue by means of SN curves. Not in the microstructural behavior you are studying.

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back