Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fatigue failure of components made from Delrin (Ertacetal) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rattler

Mechanical
Oct 8, 2003
GB
Hi,

I have a component made from Delrin (Ertacetal) which has failed; I suspect the failure is due to fatigue driven by vibration. I've looked at the failed surface under a low magnification microscope and there appears to be what looks like "beach marks"; as the material is white plastic these look a bit like flakes of cod! They are quite large and visible to the naked eye with a pitch of approximately 1 mm. Does fatigue failure of this type of material exhibit "beach marks" similar to metal?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

The part is axisymmetric, turned from bar material - it is essentially a tube with a flange on the end. The failure has occurred between the flange and tube.

Plastic bars are extruded, so the molecular orientation and strength is in the length direction. A sharp radius at the transition from tube to flange is a stress concentrator and is poor design practice for plastic parts or even metal parts.

Beachmarks (in metals and plastics) indicate crack propagation and are most often associated with fatigue but be careful - they can also indicate another crack propagation mechanism. Does vibrationally-induced fatigue make logical sense? Delrim (POM) is susceptibel to chemical degradation and stress corrosion cracking in the right environments. Is it being exposed to a chemical environment? You may need additional lab analysis to really tell why this failed.

Hi - thanks very much for your replies; the component is used in the sea at a depth of approximately 50 metres and is attached to a device that is likely to generate vibrations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back