Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fatigue Modifying Factors

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlipperyPete

Aerospace
Sep 3, 2012
GB
Can I ask a couple of questions about Fatigue Modifying factors when performing a fatigue analysis of an aluminium component:
1. Temperature Factor - I have seen it recommended that a temperature factor of 1 is applied for temperatures up to 450degC. Whereas I have also seen it proposed that the ratio of UTS at operating temperature/UTS at room temperature should be used. Obviously with aluminium there is a huge difference between these factors. What would members on this site recommend?

2. Reliability Factor - Generally a reliability factor of 0.753 is applied to achieve a reliability of 0.999 (3-sigma). However, if the specification requirement has applied a Scatter Factor of 6 to the required number of cycles is it also appropriate to apply a 3-sigma reliability factor, or is this simply applying factors on factors?

Any advise gratefully received, as I seem to end up with some very low material fatigue limits.

Peter

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"Generally a reliability factor of 0.753 is applied to achieve a reliability of 0.999 (3-sigma)." this is a factor on load (not a factor on life), still a pretty samll safe life factor ... 1/.753 = 4/3, (4/3)^4 = 256/81 = 3.

if the customer specifies a safe life factor of 6 (that's high !) then IMHO that should be enough.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Hi SlipperyPete and welcome to the forum!

1) Regarding the temperature factor, use this equation to calculate the temperature factor for ALUMINUM ALLOYS:

For T<=50[sup]o[/sup]C use => C[sub]T[/sub] = 1.0
For T>50[sup]o[/sup]C use => C[sub]T[/sub] = 1- 0.0012.(T-50)[sup]2[/sup]

This specification is the one speficied by FKM-Guideline.

2) I din't undertand your second question.

1) you're an aerospace guy ... use AR-MMPDS. i think the ^2 expression above is good up to about 80deg (when Ct = 0) ... i think there's something wrong with that expression, from AR-MMPDS Ct = 0.95 at 100degC ??

Yes, I was also a bit confused by the expression, particularly as our operating temperature is >90degC.
I've not seen fatigue temperature factors defined in MMPDS, can you provide a reference for the Ct=0.95 that you quoted?

Many thanks,

Peter

sorry, thought you were looking for Ftu. i can't think of seeing high temperature fatigue for Al ... maybe run your own test ? maybe get a nearby university intereted in helping you ... it'd be an expensive rig!

useful piece of data ...
at 95C, i might use the ftu (or fty) ratio, looks like a 4% reduction (in the s/n curve). as a stress number, that's pretty small, well within lots of other uncertainities, i'd probably also use an increased safe life factor ... 10? (typically 4 or 5). depends how critical the item is.

I've got this expression from the book Metal Fatigue Analysis Handbook (equation 4.41), and the book's authors say they got this equation from FKM-Guideline. I haven't realized this but yes, there's something wrong with the equation; I think the authors made a mistake when they wrote the book. I guess the correct expression is without the exponent:

For T<=50[sup]o[/sup]C use => C[sub]T[/sub] = 1.0
For T>50[sup]o[/sup]C use => C[sub]T[/sub] = 1 - 0.0012.(T-50)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back