Fatigue references and training 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainguy

Structural
Apr 26, 2002
CA
Hi all.

There is a multitude of fatigue information out there. However, can you guys suggest references (articles, texts, standards) that are clearly explained and user friendly? We are looking at stress-life methods, using AWS D1.1 or Eurocode 9. EC9, by the way, is not user friendly.

What I find lacking are actual worked out examples that include FE results and the transfer from FE results to calculated damage. Most of these techniques are documented in company manuals but we don't have any.

Structures we work on are typically railcars, so large weldments in various types of metal. Many fillet welds, groove welds, resistance spot welds.

I realize this is a huge field without a simple answer, but examples would sure help.

tg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Frankly, it sounds like a whole research and development project by itself. You may consider development of a customized software program that would incorporate both the FEA and some further evaluation of the obtained numerical results according to the standards that you've mentioned. For the beginning, you may consider using 2D FEA models of fillet welds and groove welds (to be more precise, 2D models of their cross-sections), because 2D models are much easier to create and the customized FEA algorithms to implement.

Dear trainguy,
You can download a DEMO version of winLIFE, here you are:

Here you are an example explained step-by-step taking advance of FEA multiaxial stress results from FEMAP & NX Nastran:

Best regards,
Blas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blas Molero Hidalgo
Ingeniero Industrial
Director

IBERISA
48004 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB: Blog de FEMAP & NX Nastran:

A different application to your problem, but a good source of information nonetheless, review Part 5 of ASME Section VIII Division 2. Over the past ten years ASME VIII-2 has has considerable development in the fatigue methods and it is laid out in a way that is easy to interpret.

This is a good one for Eurocode 3 Eurocode Fatigue Text. I like it better than the IIW stuff, which can be sparse on explanation and difficult to follow which is current and applicable in my opinion. The text may help with understanding Eurocode 9. I don't use Eurocode 9 to offer an opinion.

UcfSE,

I'll check it out - thanks. BTW, in my haste to compose the OP, I confused EC3 Part 1-9, with EC9 Part 1-3. I am really looking at EC3 Part 1-9 (Steel structures, fatigue), so your reference is right on.

tg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back