Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Faulty Reed Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

1BrickShort

Aerospace
Aug 27, 2007
US
I have a reed switch that has been working properly for multiple cycles, then out of the blue it is showing a short circuit. The reed switch itself has been soldered to a circuit board and embeded in epoxy, so I do not have the luxury of being able to physically touch the switch or board.

Has anyone seen an effect on a reed switch that would cause it to suddenly short for no good reason, then remain shorted indefinetly even though there was no magentic field present?

Is it possible for a voltage spike to cause this? What else could cause this effect?

I am confused by this.

The idea of embeding the switch assembly in this expoxy has been proven through experience on the product line, so I am fairly convinced that the effect is not coming from the efects of the epoxy...

Does anyone have an idea as to what this could be?

1BrickShort

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well, the welded reeds was the correct answer. I found a potentiometer this morning that was shorting in the circuit and causing the failure. Through testing I could repeat the effects consistently...the conclusion is that we shouldn't nessisarily buy from the cheapest bidder!!!

Thanks for the input

1BrickShort

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back