Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FE modeling in Patran

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wazy01

Mechanical
Aug 5, 2015
MD
Good day all,

As I need to use the MSC Nastran code, I try to build my model (meshing) in different software other than Patran. As my model kind of complex (need partition to control the mesh refinement, 0.02mm in 8mm thick palte) and I am new to Patran I do not know what is the best procedure to build the model. what you suggest please
use Abaqus to build the model (mesh and defined BC) then export to Patran (might be as ASCI (.Sat)file)
build the parts, mesh them in other software such as solid work (I havent used it yet,) then assemble them in Patran. Run analysis
Do you think Patran is powerful in modelling/convenient in meshing ---is there any tutorials to mesh notch, curved edges, transient mesh size (fine-coarse)

what is common/suggested for FE users to build the model in Patran or there more convenient softwares for this purpose used as MSC might be solver

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The best software is the one you know best!
Use the pre/post processor you are most comfortable with /knowledgeable and make sure it can create all the MSC.Nastran cards you need/want
Meshing is still the longest time consuming task so is it the best time to learn a new pre/post tool?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back