Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

fea how to

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcbsimoes

Structural
Apr 6, 2012
PT
Hi all,

i've been studing ansys apdl over a year now, but i
can't find a nice tutorial on how to construct an assembly or import one from CAD (solidworks).

i built a specific easy problem to solve, but can't quite reproduce it in ansys. nor am i sure if the below procedure is correct.

say one have a table built in CAD, a simple 4 legs and a shell over it.
i am able to solve it using beams and shells. a rather simple analysis.

but what if i wanted to import the cad with the sheet metal linking corners...
i've been reading this IGESIN command, but can't quite make it work for cad assemblies.

1. should one settle with the beam+shell study? neglecting the linking corners??

2. should one study piece by piece?? constructing each piece in ansys and loading it?? even if it was the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco???

3. should one import the overall assembly, define mates and load it as set and not as separated parts? if yes, how? does any one know a nice tutorial on this??

greetings
rui

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In Ansys Classic: think the iges surfaces are defined as areas in Ansys Classic, if you give those areas attributes (material) and mesh you can get a mesh for your analysis, something similar can be done for the lines.

If its a simple geometry I would probably re-model (or import the Iges geometry) in Workbench and mesh it there. Then you can export the mesh and open it in Ansys Classic afterwards (if you prefer to work with your model here)

Christian Hansen
Twitter: @ChrHansen

FEA consulting made easy -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back