Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FEA: Node-to-node contact

Status
Not open for further replies.

HonzaS

Mechanical
Nov 5, 2010
CZ
Hello,

I'm looking for node to node contact in NX Nastran.

I've found CGAP elements, but I dont't know how to work with it excactly.
Do you have any experiences with them?

I've managed to run a very simple model, that runs with CGAP elements instead of surface to surface contact and results are similar. But the CGAP version does not iterate (is it necessary to run nonlinear solver to force it to iterate? - updating gaps). // picture in the attachment

I need it for a complex calculation, where some certain parts are simplified just for stiffness and are modeled manually (excactly node to node in contact areas) and I want to make it as simple as possible.

Thank you for any help or suggestion!!

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=93b56023-5567-47ef-9b38-64064f78f606&file=pic1.PNG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear Honzas,
In the FEM environment use "Insert > Mesh > Contact Mesh".

Use Contact Mesh to create point-to-point contact between two edges or a portion of two edges defined by limiting points. You can only use Contact Mesh to create a contact mesh on between edges on your model's geometry. This means, for example, that you cannot use Contact Mesh to create a contact mesh between elements you created manually using commands on the Element Operations toolbar.

Result types supported in Post Processing for contact mesh include Normal Force, Sliding Force, Element Status, and Gap/Penetration.

To generate a contact mesh, the software first evaluates the two limiting points on the selected contact edge (contact start point C1 and contact end point C2) and the corresponding two limiting points on the selected target edge (target start point T1 and target end point T2), then builds the contact mesh.

Best regards,
Blas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blas Molero Hidalgo
Ingeniero Industrial
Director

IBERISA
48011 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB: Blog de FEMAP & NX Nastran:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back