Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FEA torque simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

grunt58

Mechanical
Feb 4, 2005
US
I'm making a custom wrench for personal use. For fun, I'd like to run an FEA and see if the wrench will fail. below is a similar wrench. A torque wrench is applied to the square hole. Where do I fix and apply the load? Should it be a torque or a force?

Axle_Nut_Wrench_xopwre.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If I were running this and wanted to see if either the square socket or the face that interacts with the hex were likely to fail I would create a mock square drive and bolt head in my simulation as well. I would then fix the bolt head in X, Y, and Z. Apply a constraint to the wrench to keep it in plane (sliding constraint on one of the large faces), constrain the mock square drive in the same plane as the wrench, and then apply a torque to the mock square drive.

If you are only worried about the square socket failing you could skip the mock bolt head and just fix those faces of the wrench or vise versa if you are only worried about the hex portion failing.

I believe it would only fail at the hex portion. I'm curious to see how thin the hex portion can be. My stated torque for the lock nut this is for is 100ft-lbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back