Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Feature Colour 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

itaylor

Automotive
Apr 1, 2008
AU
Hi All,
How do I set the Customer Defaults or Preferences to maintain the colours that I assign to objects?
I like to have a colour for the final body. As I create a new object I will assign another colour, then I can see when it is for example united as it will inherit the coulr of the parent body.
In the attached pic you will see the colours seem to be inheriting the child body or even another body.

Thanks in advance.

Automotive
Germany
NX10

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=336bf156-17a0-4ca3-8ee9-da983e0e0348&file=Feature_Colour.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not sure if this is the same questions, but lets say I'm adding stock to a model. Each offset surface I create I want it to be green each time without having to assign each new surface one at a time. Good question!

NX 10

itaylor: I've never experienced such thing happening. Any chance you could provide an example of this situation?

Miyamoto12: I would create a Feature Group for the offset surfaces and then use green Feature Group Color. Now when you create an offset surface activate the feature group and all new surfaces will go in the group and get a right color as well. If you continue modeling something else, deactivate the group and the new features go to the end of the history tree.

Lockdain,
One point of correction on the example that you link to; it states:

By default NX supports only the operation, which paints all the part faces in random colors, but it is not what we’re talking about.

This isn't true. NX supports assigning colors to features and feature groups (SS88 referenced this option above); you can find these options at menu -> edit -> feature -> assign {feature|feature group} color.

cowski,

No doubt, it's possible to manually assign any color to a feature or feature group, but in that article mentioned a way to assign a random color to all features in the part, so i can't see any inconsistencies with what you mentioned.

By default NX supports only the operation, which paints all the part faces in random colors, but it is not what we’re talking about.

It means Shuffle Random Color operation.

Hello,

Please check the NX Documentation.[Modeling Preferences]

Boolean Face Properties from

Target Body

New face properties that result from Boolean operations are based on those of the target body.

regards,
Mathi Krishnan
NX10.0.1.4 D4

Lockdain,
Is english your first language? If not, it may just be a translation issue. The following sentence by itself, as written, is simply not true.

By default NX supports only the operation, which paints all the part faces in random colors, ...

This sentence is saying that "The default behavior of NX is to paint all the faces with a random color". This is neither the default behavior of NX nor the "only option it supports".

The default behavior of NX is really to assign the face color based on your set preference. Other options include: use random colors, assign face colors based on the boolean target and tool body, or assign colors according to feature or feature group.

www.nxjournaling.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back