Feature Recognition...................... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAD2015

Computer
Jan 21, 2006
US
Hi,
SolidWorks has a great tool: Feature Recognition.
It can convert a dump body into a full parametrized one.
Does NX have something similar?...............

Thank you,

CAD 2015

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Perhaps not 'features' per sea, but certainly can 'parametrize' things like the radii of Blends and the diameter of the Holes, the distance between parallel faces, etc.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

Thank you for the prompt reply.
Can you extend your answer and tell me how to follow your instructions, step by step, please?....

CAD 2015

Sorry, it's been over eight years since I've had access to NX. I was only commenting about what constitutes 'feature recognition' in NX, at least what it was like when I last used it.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

If you are looking for NX to build a model, from an imported model, with features, I do not think there is an option. Now you can import into Solidworks, run the Solidworks feature recognition then use NX Siemens SWIM product to convert into NX. Now there are a ton of steps and costs here.

What NX has, to modify a dumb model is the synchronous technology tools. These tools are recommended to modify a dumb body within NX. For simple models it works great, as the model gets a little bit more complicated, these tools work, but there could be extra steps needed to get these tools to work.

Feature reqognition was hyped up many years ago, and many systems did get some form of implementation, but as fas as i know, none are able to do komplex models.
- If the model is created by a few extrusions and holes, it works but complex models, no.
Pro/E , (today Creo) was at the time pretty poor at handling imported data, and maybe the feature reqognition came out of this.

John , wasn't there some plug in or something similar "in this direction" for NX ?
say 1999-2000 which then disappeared ?

Regards,
Tomas

The more you know about a subject, the more you know how little you know about that subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back