Features/Mark setting - NX12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylor.123

Mechanical
Nov 29, 2021
US
Hello,

I am having issues very similar to the ones described in this thread: thread561-277994
(high hard disk usage and low RAM and CPU usage)

I would like to try updating the 'Features/Mark' setting that 'JohnRBaker' refers to:

First, make sure that you've set your 'Features/Mark' setting to something reasonable.

Now if you don't know what this is, it's a scheme which allows you to update your models faster since once you've done an initial update of the model history, the next time you make an edit during your session, the model will not have to roll-back as far to start the update process. The 'Features/Mark' setting controls the granularity of this behavior. That is it controls how big are the 'steps' in the update. This option is set at...

Customer Defaults -> Modeling -> General -> Update

...the first item on the page.

Now the rule of thumb is that if your typical model has 10's of features, set this mark to 1. If the typical model has 100's of features, set it to 10, but if the typical model has 1000's of features, set this to 100. If you set it too low, then extra .rol_bin files are created as you open and update your models. Note that I've actually tested this and changing from 1 to 10, or 10 to 100, 'Features/Mark' can have a significant impact on the number of .rol_bin files created.

It looks like that post was in reference to NX7.5.
I have not been able to find this setting in NX12. Can anyone tell me how I might make changes to this setting?

Thanks,
Taylor

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ok, I've found a post in the Siemens forums that says: Starting with NX 12, you can no longer control the Features per mark for rol_bin files.

The thread is started 2010.
He had if I understand the discussion correctly 6 Gb RAM. I would consider that discussion irrelevant due to he having too little RAM.
The Hard drive is often said to deliver 1/1000 the speed of the RAM ( don't know how that applies when using SSD'a) but still, if the RAM gets "filled up" , the computer starts swapping data from the RAM to the HD/SSD, and then everything is suddenly very-very slow, even with SSD's.

Tell us more :
What NX version ?
OS ?
Amount of RAM ? - In my perspective you should have 32GB or more on the computer you run NX on.
Normally NX will normally allocate somewhere between ~0,5GB and say 8GB but if the total allocated ( all processes together) is closing in on say 80% of the available, you will see a dramatic performance drop.
Free space on main Hard drive ? If tight if might affect the performance.
Graphics adapter ?

Regards,
Tomas

Never try to teach a pig to sing. I wastes your time and it annoys the pig.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back