Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

fee for precast parking garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

tw

Structural
May 30, 2001
US
Interested in what fees firms normally charge for structural for precast parking garage. It will be 4 level conventional precast garage.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

tw... sometimes for precast projects, the precast supplier provides the 'total' package, sometimes they are the EOR and sometimes the structural engineer checks their design. All have different fee issues.

Dik

In the US, typically the A/E design team will specify the garage layout, aesthetic requirements, spans, locations of columns, etc. These are usually worked out with a precaster early in the project. The A/E documents then show a foundation system based upon a presumed garage design that will be verified once the precaster provides the final shop drawings.

So in a sense, a lot of the garages done by A/E design teams are similar in nature to how pre-manufactured metal buildings are done - the EOR does the foundation and oversees the overall design - and delegates the design tasks of the PC garage above the footings to the precaster and the precast engineers either working within their firm or sub-contracted out.

For fees - it depends on if you are the overall EOR/foundation designer or the precast engineer.

Agreed with JAE, that's how I've done it in the past. Architect designs the layout-> precaster designs all of the superstructure members and provides base reactions-> EOR designs the foundation.

That may go some way towards explaining why so many of those things collapse. If I am forced to use a precast garage, I always do my own quick inspection.

Hokie,
I was just thinking the same thing.

How could you do anything so vicious? It was easy my dear, don't forget I spent two years as a building contractor. - Priscilla Presley & Ricardo Montalban

Why is it that architects always "need" to work directly for the Owner but we structural engineers will work as sub to a sub to a sub?

Maybe the structural engineers should hold the design services contract for parking garages and then hire the architects to work for them.

JLNJ, worked that way for Kansas City Intl Airport garages. Structural Engineer was the Prime and everybody else were the consultants. That was a cast-in-place post-tensioned, tho.

Most architects know very little about parking garages and mess it up, at least with respect to durability, but sometimes also with respect to signage and drainage. They care nothing about the structure even though it is almost 50% of the total cost. The problem with making the engineer prime is that most architects do not work well as a sub and you may not get the required service from him/her, unless you can find an architect who is willing to play second fiddle.

We were looking to sub some work to an architect. He was filled with angst because supposedly the AIA's recommended policy was that architects work only directly for Owners - you know, to preserve the sanctity of their relationship to Owners and The Public.

Fee and Profit might be a motivator as well...

What interest do architects have in giant plain looking precast parking decks?
Hearing this kind of thing makes me happy that 90% of my work is industrial.

Hokie-
I have been forced into one of these decks 3 times a day for the foreseeable future.
There are repairs taking place all over the deck.
I have been parking on the top levels that are exposed to daylight above. This gives me a better chance.
The first thing I saw when I pulled into the deck a few days ago was a newly added steel column and foundation along with a permanent steel structure supporting one of the main concrete girders on the lowest level. Clearly the girder had some major issues.
I decided parking on top was best even though it may be futile.

Used to estimate total cost of project for above grade will be around $12,000 per stall and 50% again for stalls below (obviously a local condition and its been a while). 0.5% seems appropriate. You should be the EOR and the precaster should be an approved vendor certified by PCI. Their final shop drawings are to bear their PE stamp. I have both worked for the architect and vise versa on large precasst garages. Doesn't much matter for experienced production architects. As for the silly architects, just be ready to beat him over the head every time he significantly impacts cost (yes, you should be able to estimate some of the costs). They should be limited to the exterior look and storefront areas. As EOR you will provide general sizes for DTees, ITees, columns and shearwalls. You will be designing the foundations and lateral resisting systems (including diaphragm steel).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back