Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Feed rate library 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Candas

Mechanical
Oct 6, 2003
TR
Hello,
Is there any way to create user defined feed rate library and retrieve feed rates from it?
Thank you...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why not just edit the supplied Feeds & Speeds files supplied with UG?

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

Howdy!

Ben,you seem to be most valuable UG source here.
I'm interested in same thing as Candas.
How can you tie feeds,materials and endmill together?
For example material P20(Impax) Ø20 endmill feed 1500mm/min 3200 rpm/min.Same endmill in aluminium 8000 p/min and 4800mm/min.
In Mastercam I did it by adding same tool to library with different speeds-feeds.
Should it be done in UG by running GRIP or API and retreiving values from external database?Or feeds-speeds database is accessed by postprocessor?

Henry Mägi
CAD/CAM engineer

PS!Just started to use UG,MoldWizard and UG CAM

It has been a while since I realy looked at UG CAM, like 5 years. I will put down what I remember.

In the template setup for an operation you can choose part material, cutter size and material and feeds and speeds. Create custom templates for different materials. If you look under the UG load directory, there is a CAM directory which has a resource directory, I think. In this directory are the various material, feeds amd speeds, cutting tool, etc libraries. No GRIP or UG/Open API programming required unless you really want to get fancy.

I might find time tomorrow at work to check the directories and file names.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

These are actual directories for the cam databases on my system. My UG loadpoint is c:\UGS180.

Data File - Directory under <loadpoint>\MACH\resource\library

cut_methods.dat - feeds_speeds\ascii
feeds_speeds.dat - feeds_speeds\ascii
part_materials.dat - feeds_speeds\ascii
tool_materials.dat - feeds_speeds\ascii
tool_database.dat - tool\english

You need to look hard at the files and the data in the columns because all of these have references to one or more of the others.

In conjunction with Operation Templates, UG CAM can do a lot with very few keystrokes, but it takes time and patience to get it all setup for your own working environment.

We have actually moved everything under <loadpoint>\MACH to the server so all programmers use the same data. There is a setting in ugii_env.dat for CAM file locations.

&quot;Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic.&quot;

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

Thanks,Ben!

Looks like I have to fill two files,tool_database and feeds_speeds.
It will take some thinking how would be the best way to customize these datas

Henry Mägi
CAD/CAM engineer

Modify the 'database' tables and call the sppeds and feeds by material and/or manufacturing operation with a template.

&quot;Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic.&quot;

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back